Smudging is an age-old and revered tradition of purification, cleaning, and connection to the Creator. Our energy is cleansed, and we are connected to thankfulness and the Creator when we burn medicines (cedar, sweetgrass, sage, and tobacco). Medicine isn't seen as a treatment for illness but as a gift from the Creator.
Our intentions are raised into the spirit heavens through the act of smudging, which is a gesture of thanks. When getting ready to smudge, mental and emotional clarity are crucial. Smudging is optional. Therefore, one can refrain from doing it without offending during rituals.
It is advised to start your smudging by facing east, the direction where the day begins. To get ready, set up a fire-resistant surface or container before you.
- Before you begin, it's important to create a sacred space. This can be done by smudging the space or setting up an altar with items that hold special meaning to you.
- Next, choose the sacred medicine you will use for smudging. Sage is the most commonly used medicine for smudging, but you can also use sweetgrass, cedar, tobacco or other sacred herbs.
- Once you have your sacred medicine, light one end of it using a match or lighter. Be careful not to burn yourself or set anything else on fire.
- As the sacred medicine begins to smoke, use your hand or a feather to waft the smoke around the space or person you are purifying. You can also use a shell or other tool to help direct the smoke.
- As you move the smoke around, focus on your intention for the smudging ceremony. This can be anything from releasing negativity to inviting in positive energy.
- Move the smoke around the space or person until you feel the energy shift. You can then extinguish the sacred medicine by pressing it into a fire-safe bowl or abalone shell.
- After the smudging ceremony is complete, it's essential to give thanks to the sacred medicines and the spirits for their assistance. This can be done through prayer, song, or simply by expressing gratitude.
Following these steps, you can perform a smudging ceremony with sacred medicines to purify and cleanse your space and invite positive energy. Remember to always approach this practice with respect and intention.